When I was trying to make the Western desserts, I seem to have almost forgotten my hometown desserts. Well, I have to say my family do not eat desserts very much, my mom does not have sweet teeth at all and so is my dad. The sweet potato dessert is one of the few that my mom makes occasionally, it is extremely easy to make and a very typical dessert you can find in Hong Kong. It can be eaten all year round but particularly suitable during winter, as ginger will warm you up. You may ask why brown sugar, it gives a distinct taste, more natural and a nice brownish color to the dessert. Chinese brown sugar is also said to have a detoxification function. Overall, this is a very healthy dessert.
Tell you a little something, when I was little, during Winter, from time to time, we would take a hot bath with a bar of Chinese brown sugar dissolved in the water, this is to make our skin less dry, a simple and cost effective spa, isn’t it? In the past, there were not so many skincare products and even if there were, a lot of people would not be willing to spend on these luxurious products. I still occasionally do this in Switzerland. I am not sure if it really helps but there is no harm to do it, reminds me my childhood : )
- 1 big sweet potato or about 400g, cut into cubes
- 1 bar of chinese brown sugar (see picture below)
- 2 slices of ginger
- 300ml water
- Put the ginger, sweet potato cubes, brown sugar into a medium pan and add in the water.
- Bring to boil and then turn to medium heat, simmer for about 30 mins or until the sweet potatoes are soft enough and the brown sugar water has slightly immersed into the sweet potatoes.
- Discard the ginger and serve while it is hot.
Chinese Brown Sugar