After numerous indecisive thought process, I came out this salad. It’s really awesome. The objective was to prepare something low carb. I wanted to use the quinoa to make sushi and came out too wet and failed so instead I mixed the filling together.
I have had eaten surimi tobiko cucumber salad many times in Hong Kong as an appetizer and this version has taken the salad up one level, even more delish and can serve as a main low carb dish.
- 10 Sticks Surimi, cut into very thin strips
- 1 cucumber, deseed, partly remove skin and cut into very thin strips
- 3 tbsp Tobiko (you can buy them frozen)
- a small handful Coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 ripe Avocado, cut into small pieces
- Toasted seaweed (optional: for garnish on top)
- 2/3 cup white quinoa
Salad dressing inspired from recipe found in CHOW.com:
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp dark toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp sriracha (Thai Chili sauce) or 2 tsp Korean Chili paste ( I have used Korean this time as I have run out of Srircha), you can add more if you want it more spicy
- Cooked the quinoa as instructed on your pack. Drain and transfer into a bowl, set aside to cool down.
- Prepare the ingredients as described above and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Prepare the salad dressing in a small bowl, you need a little whisking to mix well.
- Finally toss in the quinoa with in the other ingredients in the mixing bowl and pour in the salad dressing.
- This is enough for 3-4 people, depending if you serve as an appetizer or main course. I like to serve in smaller portion on a small plate and garnish with a little toasted seaweed on top. And repeat when I want second.
So happy the avocado was so perfect : )